Private: Green Grotto Excursion from Ocho Rios
- Duration: 4 Hours (approx.)
- Product code: PD1CQN
A journey into underworld charm.. a speologist’s dream, a green cavern of mystery and adventure, a slice of Jamaica's history... part of your vacation with a difference.. such are the accolades that can be ascribed to the Green Grotto Caves.
- Hotel/Port pick up & drop off
- Scenic drive into the Jamaican countryside
- Spend the time exploring and learning about the history of the famous Rum Caves
- Authentic Jamaican Jerk lunch stop (Meals and Drinks not included)
Situated on 25.9 hectares of the island's beautiful North Coast, the Caves are located between the resort centers of Ocho Rios and Montego Bay and are precisely 3.2 km from Discovery Bay to the west and 4 km from Runaway Bay to the east.
The central feature of this natural attraction is the large labyrinthine limestone cave with its numerous rock formations, its stalactites, stalagmites, and abundance of overhead ceiling pockets.
Your guide will explain the rich history of the caves, telling the story of the people who have used the caves for various purposes over the years. The discovery of cave paintings, tools and fragments of pottery indicate that the original inhabitants of the caves were the Taino Indians who would have used the caves for shelter.
The next know inhabitants were the Spanish who, at the time of the British invasion of Jamaica (in 1655), hid in the caves to avoid capture. There is an underground tunnel which links the caves to the sand at Runaway Bay. It is believed that the Spanish used the tunnel in their attempt escape the Island and flee to Cuba. Runaway slaves have also used the caves to hide from their former masters. During World War 2, Rum barrels were stored here for safekeeping by the Jamaican Government.
Come and immerse yourself in the rich history and the mystery that is known as the Green Grotto.
What is included
- Hotel/Port Pick-up and Drop-off
- Admission Fee
- Protective Headgear
- English Speaking Cave Guide
- Food and Drinks
- Gratuity (Optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Not suitable for pregnant women or persons with back problems
- Dress code is smart casual, wear comfortable walking shoes
- Not Wheelchair accessible
- No Video recording is allowed but Photographs are allowed
- Pets are not allowed on tour